Western Union Foundation Case Study
Telegraphing Great Triumphs
A Denver-based non-profit focused on enabling millions of global migrants to go places, prosper and build better lives, Western Union Foundation has awarded nearly $72 million in grants to more than 2,000 organizations in 104 countries since its inception in 2001.
Western Union Foundation came to Malenke | Barnhart for a redesign of its website. Understanding that people give to causes, not organizations, our challenge was to help site visitors identify a cause that matters to them—and decide to give their support—ultimately forwarding the foundation’s mission of helping migrants around the world.
Western Union Foundation challenged Malenke | Barnhart to:
- Help site visitors identify with the foundation’s mission of helping global migrants—with the ultimate goal of driving support.
- Elevate the message of the foundation’s global impact.
- Create empathy within site visitors.
- Set this foundation apart from other non-profits.
- Overcome the “corporate” impression.
Malenke | Barnhart created a new site that features:
- Deep imagery and colors to convey the rich human story of the global migrant while ensuring that the new look-and-feel also ties in with the black and gold of the Western Union corporate brand.
- Clear navigation and calls to action to help garner support via donations, volunteerism and partnerships.
- Large, evocative images that express the positive impact Western Union Foundation has on migrants.
- A rich, international color palette to reflect the multi-cultural world of migrants.
- Headlines that focus on positive facts and statistics to showcase Western Union Foundation’s impact.
- Content that is easily scannable so site visitors can easily identify points that resonate.
- An interactive giving map to express visually the global impact of the NGOs that the foundation supports.